Pages

Friday 2 June 2017

Authors note to readers.

Well,here it is nearly a year and just over a hundred entries into this blog.Chapters ten and eleven have seemed to drag on a bit more than I'd intended,but it seems an appropriate time to take a little break from the narrative to reflect on this project a bit.Both the number one hundred,and the time of one year tend to lend themselves to that idea,and while Chapter Eleven is still a few entries from being finished, I have reached a point in the story where taking a break seems appropriate.

From it's inception,this blog was always intended to be more than just narrative. I've always wanted to give my audience some insight into what goes in to making my memoir, quite apart from the story.A kind of backstage pass if you will, to all the little notes I make to myself, to the process that takes place in my mind as I write. This particular blog always has been and always will be about doing that, and now is one of those times to take care of that bit of business.

First things first.I want to thank each and every person who has ever read my blog, even if you've only done so once.My blog was always intended primarily for my family, but if you are of the larger family of man, I'm delighted that you've come along for the ride.When I check the readership stats,I notice I have readers from Brazil to Ukraine with many stops in between, and I'm honored that you would take the time to read the memoir of a rather ordinary person from Atlantic Canada.Let me encourage you to read,follow and comment on my blog anytime.

It has always struck me as strange,and a bit unjust that authors typically acknowledge and thank persons in the last few pages of their books.Often when I'm reading, I encounter characters whom I know are derived directly from someone who has inspired that author, without ever really knowing, as a reader,who that person was.Let me say again,if you've ever read what I've written,you have inspired me,and for that I am grateful. I do wish to acknowledge and thank certain people here,by name.

Krista is my sister and a longtime resident of Moncton,New Brunswick. We've been many things to each other over the years:friends,sibling rivals,strangers,and perhaps even enemies,but always siblings.I want to say,that through all that,I like who you have become and I'm glad you are my sister.You stand for, and stand up for good things.Thank you for reading and for the occasional comment.

My son Matt was born and raised in Edmonton,Alberta.But in talking to him,I seem to think that he also views himself as sharing some of the Atlantic Canadian identity.Let me thank you for reading this blog.It was intended to give you insight to your identity,and a sense of meaningful history.

Dorian and Katrina are my sisters children.Although I send them copies of each entry as faithfully as memory allows,I'm not certain how much they read.It always seemed to me,when I was young that it was the hear and now that mattered.History was of lesser importance,until one day when it wasn't. I hope you will both come to place where you can enjoy and appreciate all of what history offers, because it is a great place to be.Thank you so much for reading.

Lynn lived right across from our backdoor and she has lived there for a long time.She is a wealth of knowledge in regards to what our neighborhood was like long before I got there.Lynn,I have always found you comments edifying, and it pleases me that you read my writing and offer your insights.

Braunlyn is Lynn's daughter and a close friend of my sister.As such, she has likely spent more time in our house than anyone who didn't actually live there.And,of course she would have looked out her front window and seen the same thing I saw looking out a back window.We are close enough in age too that growing up where and when we did was a bit of a shared experience. Ms.B,I've come to think of you as sort of m,y Alpha Reader, and there are times I find myself writing for you.You read everything carefully and comment frequently,and I've come to know that if I can sustain your interest,I just may be doing a passable job of writing.

Kim is another friend from those childhood days, who lived within sight of our backdoor.Actually we were more acquaintances than friends in those days,as we are four years apart in age,and,to children,that is an eternity.So, in truth,we've become reacquainted through the wonders of social media,in particular Facebook.Not everyone shines in social media,but Kim,you definitely do.I can read your posts and we can chat,and I believe I get a very good view of who you are,and the sorts of good things that you stand for a believer in.All of that makes me proud to be from where I am from and you've become one of my most treasured friends in just the short time we've known each other-again. Thanks for reading,and for your kind and beautiful spirit.That is so uncommon in this world we live in.

Cheryl lives in Northern British Columbia.For reasons of her own she left home and joined me and many others in the diaspora of Atlantic Canadians, yet seems to be deeply rooted in our hometown as well.She is a passionate and well informed person,and though we often disagree on socio-political issues,she presents both belief and and truth with an uncommon grace. If a person were truly interested in learning to live well, they would do well to look to this remarkable woman as a role model.Cheryl,you once said to me,not that long ago, something that stands as one of the most inspiring things I've ever heard as a writer.You said"I hope you have a novel in you." To that end,let me just say that I've recently began a work of creative non fiction that is New Brunswick to it's heart.At the present time it is little more than a stack of research notes and a few written and typed pages.But long journeys are a series of sometimes small steps, the first few of which have now been taken.With God's grace,I look forward to that day, however far off it may be that I can present you with one of the first copies to come off the press,autographed of course.Thank you for reading,and for your encouragement.

I would be remiss if I did not also acknowledge my writing group here in Toronto, with whom I've met,and worked on the trade of memoir writing since 2010.The talented writers who have come and gone,as well as those who have remained with that group are far to numerous to mention,but nearly every one of them has inspired,and taught me something about writing."Iron sharpens iron." I wish to especially acknowledge Ms.Selia,who has grown into that group's facilitator, and without whom things would not work there nearly as well as they do.She has led a truly interesting life and I thank her for sharing some part of that with us. Lately,you have been more of an encouragement than nearly anyone I know.When you tell me that you enjoy my writing,I'm not at all certain that I am worthy of the admiration.It is nonetheless gratifying to be admired by peers,and that admiration runs both ways.

Jennifer is an employee of Toronto Public Libraries,and the facilitator of a writers group that I attend on alternate Saturday afternoons.Our group is rather small at the moment,but it has,thank to Jennifer,and the writers who attend a comfortable,welcome feeling.Thank you Jennifer for your interest,and the innovative ideas you bring to the group.

To anyone,anywhere,throughout the ages who has ever written or read memoir,or,for that matter anything else,you have my undying respect and admiration.We are fellow travelers.

No comments: